Tuesday, September 09, 2008

re: a bloggers annonimity

then don't ever make the mistake i did and give out your name or connect any of your familiy members to it in any way.



it was the most horrible mistake i ever made. i wasn't actually "anonymous" either which was part of the problem. i use my gamertag as my "online" persona and i've never hidden my life. i never had reason to. when a family member thinks they've read something atrocious because it's about them it can make your life terribly uncomfortable.



it was so bad that they sometimes screamed at me not to blog about something (jokingly of course). i really started to feel gagged though. but you know, i read my post over and over and over again and i didn't say anything that deserved what they did to me or how they made me feel about it afterwards. what ended up happening is that i almost completely withdrew from them.



i removed any link from my space that would take you back to my sites, cancelled my domain, changed the names on all my blogs and made sure any post that mentioned any family member or co-worker was private and locked. even innocent pictures and slides were removed. it's been over a year now and i'm still considering changing my online name. that would be so hugely inconvenient for me, but if i can still talk about this like it just happened to me now then it must still be bothering me right? shouldn't i do something about it?



but it feels like cutting off a limb doesn't it? the world you create for yourself on the internet is a part of who you are and if you're forced to hide that part of yourself then you're not free. you're tied down to this unnamed and immovable force that you'll suddenly find can not be contended with.



still, i think it's important to be able to express yourself freely without fear. thing is you have to do it with the full understanding that anything you do can, and probably will, come back and bite you in the ass at any time. your words could at some point be misjudged, misconstrued or misinterpreted and guess what? there's nothing, NOTHING, you can do about it. the only think you could do is hide. hide or be prepared to let someone go.



as far as children on the internet are concerned...pictures could pose a bit of a problem, but i'm sure an entity like the fbi or cia would take steps to take care of things like that. it's not like it would be very difficult. not by then at least. besides, we all know what we're doing is leaving a digital imprint of ourselves on the net. when we die that imprint will still be there if no one touches it.



this question though is what stops me from going annonymous and from writing about certain things...What if I died tomorrow? What if that person knew what I really thought? if you're like me you tend to write about your innermost feelings. you think and you write...you don't sit there and ponder what you'll write about, you don't plan, draft or get all the words in the proper gramatical order. your brain shits and it's on the net. spell check, quick review, save and quit. that's it.



so, all this brain diareah that gets posted is...nothing more than sputter. people don't understand that. they don't understand that brain sputter is almost like having the ability to read someone's mind. you woudln't want to know what i'm thinking when i see you and i wouldn't want to know what you are. let's just trust ourselves there.



what i do is i'll write to get everything out and leave it. i won't publish it and sometimes i won't even do it on a blog. i'll just leave it in my google doc's and forget about it. i'm not telling you what you should do, just what i do and only because i can truly imagine how you must feel.

Mobile post sent by Maharet using Utterzreply-count Replies.

Misread Broadcasts

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin